HIRE EDINBURGH CAMPER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Thank you for your interest in making a booking with Hire Edinburgh Camper. As with any rental agreement, there are some important terms and conditions. We have set these out as simply and clearly as we can. They are important as they form the basis of your contract with us. Please read them carefully and ring us if you have any questions.
When you collect the van you must sign to say you accept these terms and conditions and will comply with them.
Throughout the terms and conditions, except where otherwise stated, the following definitions apply:
- The van/campervan – The Volkswagen Campervan hired to you under this agreement.
- We/Us/Our – Jane Ellis trading as Hire Edinburgh Camper.
- Hirer/You – The person or persons booking the campervan and signing this agreement.
- Security deposit – The sum of £500 (or more), required by the insurer.
- The rental period – The full duration of the campervan hire from pick-up to return as stated on the pre-hire booking form
- Pre-hire booking form – the form we use to collect your details when you book the campervan
DOS AND DON’TS
For the duration of the rental period, you agree to the following:
- drive the campervan in a cautious, prudent and normal manner
- ensure the driver and all passengers use the safety restraints provided when the campervan is in motion
- provide appropriate seats for children
- ensure you remain in control of the campervan at all times
- ensure the ground you are driving on is suitable and will not damage the campervan, if driving off a tarmacked road
- walk on any ground where you intend to park to test for invisible bogs, which are common in Scotland
- leave the key in the ignition or the doors unlocked when you are not in the campervan
- allow the campervan to be driven by anyone who is not authorised to do so under the terms of this agreement
- overload the campervan beyond its reasonable capacity
- use the campervan to carry more than five people
- smoke or vape inside the campervan
- submerge the campervan in water or bring the campervan into contact with salt water
- use the campervan for any illegal purpose or for any race, rally or contest
- use the campervan to tow anything
- take the campervan outwith Scotland, England and Wales
- use the campervan in a manner that could cause damage
- drive in a prohibited area or park in an unsuitable, dangerous or unauthorised location
- drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs or with a blood alcohol level in excess of that permitted by law
- use the campervan to carry passengers or property for hire or reward
- use the campervan to carry volatile liquids, gases,
explosives or other corrosive or inflammable material other than the gas
supplied by us
Hire Edinburgh Camper reserves the right at any time, at its sole discretion, to restrict campervan movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions or any other reasonable cause.
You must complete the pre-hire booking form and return it to us. It will be signed by you and us when you collect the campervan. This contract shall have effect on our receipt of the pre-hire booking form, your deposit and receipt of written confirmation from us. We will email confirmation of booking to you.
You must pay the balance of the hire charge (full charge minus the deposit) at least 30 days before the start of the rental period. For late bookings (less than 30 days before the hire start date) the full price is payable on booking. We will not release the campervan without receiving cleared payment in full.
COLLECTION AND RETURN
Unless by prior agreement, collection and return will be to our address in Edinburgh.
Please let us know what time
you intend to arrive and, if for any reason you are running late, contact us as
soon as possible.
Please ensure you bring with you the following details which we will need to take copies of:
- Driving Licence with photo (if you have a paper licence bring your passport)
- DVLA licence check code (UK Licence only)
- Two things that prove your current address and match your driving licence and are dated within the last three months
Failure to do so will forfeit your hire and no refund will be given.
When you collect the campervan please allow at least 30 minutes for us to show you around it; explain how to drive it, and complete the paperwork.
When you return, give yourself at least 30 minutes for us to inspect the campervan for damages/losses and for you to unpack your luggage.
The campervan must be returned clean inside. Equipment must be in the same condition as it left us. The fuel tank will be full on collection and must be returned to us full unless agreed otherwise on the collection day. If you return the campervan with less than a full tank, we will deduct an administration charge plus the cost of the missing fuel from your security deposit (see CHARGES).
If the campervan is returned later than the agreed time and without our prior agreement, we will make a charge (see CHARGES below). Please remember you will also be affecting the holiday of the next person to hire the campervan. Should the late return of the campervan make us liable for extra costs, we will pass on these costs to you. Charges and costs for late return will be deducted from your security deposit. We will not give a refund for early return of the campervan.
SUBLETTING AND OWNERSHIP
The rights and obligations contained in these terms and conditions govern your use of our campervan and are not transferable by you. You acknowledge that the campervan is owned by Hire Edinburgh Camper and that any attempted transfer or sub-letting of the campervan by anyone other than us is prohibited and a criminal offence.
The campervan shall at all times remain the property of Hire Edinburgh Camper and you shall have no rights to it other than as its hirer for the rental period. You must not do, permit or cause to be done any act, matter or thing that might prejudicially affect the rights of Hire Edinburgh Camper in respect of the campervan.
The hire price includes comprehensive insurance for the rental period via Alan Boswell Insurance. In the event of any accident, damage or reportable event, Hire Edinburgh Camper’s self-drive hire policy has the sole responsibility for any and all claims.
The insurance only covers the campervan. We strongly recommend you take out personal insurance to cover you and your belongings. Hire Edinburgh Camper is not liable to you or any authorised driver or passenger for loss of or damage to property left in the campervan either during or after the hire period, unless such loss or damage results from our negligence or breach of this rental agreement. Your property is left in the campervan entirely at your own risk.
Hire Edinburgh Camper shall verify the identity and permanent address of the hirer and any other permitted driver with their driving licence, another photo ID and two proofs of address that are less than 3 months old.
The following conditions apply:
- hirers must be between 21 and 70 years of age unless otherwise agreed with us and the insurer
- hirers must hold a full UK/EU/US/Australasian driving licence that has been valid for a minimum of 24 months
- hirers must inform us if they have been convicted of an offence in connection with the driving of a motor vehicle or motorcycle within the last three years. The insurer will accept a maximum of two speeding offences in the past three years, resulting in no more than six penalty points in total. Parking offences do not apply, and spent convictions under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 may be disregarded
- anyone who has had their licence revoked by DVLA on medical grounds or because of convictions may not hire the campervan
- anyone who has had their insurance declined and/or renewal refused and/or special insurance terms imposed as a result of claims experience and/or has had their insurance or cover cancelled by any motor insurer may be insured only by special agreement with the insurer
- anyone who, while driving, has been involved in more than one accident during the past three years requires special agreement with the insurer.
- the insured campervan shall be driven only by the hirer or other permitted driver who has completed and signed a pre-hire booking form immediately prior to any hiring
- there is a maximum of two drivers per rental
- each hirer and any other permitted driver must complete and sign the pre-hire booking form
- Hire Edinburgh Camper shall be considered as being the agent for the hirer or other permitted driver for all purposes in connection with this insurance, but under no circumstances shall the insured be considered as agent for Hire Edinburgh Camper.
- the insured campervan shall not be used for the carriage of goods of an explosive, dangerous or hazardous nature or for the carriage of goods or passengers for hire & reward or any other form of profit or remuneration.
You are not covered for:
- any claim where the campervan was being used in contravention of these terms and conditions
- damage caused negligently, wilfully or recklessly
- theft where the keys were left in the unoccupied campervan
- costs of replacing any keys that are lost, stolen or locked in the campervan (including any costs of delivering the keys to you if the campervan is out on hire)
- damage to tyres by punctures or bursts
- damage to the windscreen or windows (if this is the only damage)
- damage caused to the campervan by driving under height-restricted barriers (the campervan is 2m high)
- damage to the inside of the campervan, for example, stains on or damage to the upholstery, marking the storage units, breakages to locks or catches, light fittings
- legal penalties, i.e. parking tickets, that you incur during the period of hire
- your personal belongings
- hirers will not be accepted if they are wholly or partly in professional entertainment or professional sports persons, or jockeys or connected with racing, gaming industry, or press of any sort.
You acknowledge that you will be responsible for any loss or damage to the campervan, its documents, parts or accessories arising during the rental. If you damage the campervan engine through driving too fast over too long a period of time, not filling with fuel, or filling with the wrong fuel, and ignoring any warning lights, you will be liable for any repairs required.
If you cause damage to a third party that is not covered by the insurance policy, you will be liable for any amounts payable to such third party.
If you cause damage to the campervan that is not covered by the insurance policy, you will be liable to us for the amount of our loss. This loss may include the cost of repairing or replacing the campervan, and the amount of revenue we lose in respect of future bookings already secured at the date on which we become aware of the damage.
You agree to pay Hire Edinburgh Camper:
- all rental charges
- the security deposit
- £50 (to a maximum of £300) for each and every hourly period after the agreed return time stated on the motor rental agreement unless agreed with us by phone
- a charge for refilling the fuel tank as follows: if the campervan is returned with the fuel tank between: ¾ and full – £25; ½ and ¾ – £50; ¼ and ½ – £75; empty and ¼ – £100. Unless otherwise agreed with us.
- the nominated cancellation fee in the event of cancellation of this agreement prior to acceptance of delivery of the campervan
- the cost of any damage to the campervan or the property of any third party, subject to the insurance (see INSURANCE above)
- all government fees and duties etc;
- all parking fines, other fines or penalties, and/or accidents including third-party property damage not reported during the rental period; and associated administration costs incurred in relation to the campervan during the rental period
- any other fees or charges payable by you pursuant to this agreement. This includes any costs incurred by Hire Edinburgh Camper as a result of any breach by you of the terms of this agreement
- the cost to recover a campervan that has become bogged
- additional insurance charges if, for example, the driver to be insured has a traffic conviction, is outwith the stated age restrictions, or is in an occupation that is deemed high risk
SEAT BELTS, BOOSTER AND BABY SEATS
You are legally responsible for obtaining and using a child or baby seat. The fitting of any such equipment is your sole responsibility and we can accept no liability whatsoever.
You must pay a security deposit of £500 30 days prior to collection of the campervan unless it is a last minute booking, in which case the deposit must be paid immediately. This deposit is to cover the possibility of damage (whether negligent, wilful, accidental or otherwise) or loss to the campervan or its fixtures, fittings and equipment. The campervan and all its equipment must be returned in good condition, with no damage to it, its contents or any third-party property.
On taking delivery of the campervan, you authorise Hire Edinburgh Camper to hold your credit or debit card details as a security deposit and to deduct any amounts due to us arising out of this agreement.
The deposit will be returned
to you seven days after the safe return of the campervan in the condition in
which it left us (with the interior clean, including all cooking utensils and
appliances), as long as terms and conditions are met and allowing for speeding
tickets, parking fines, congestion charges and any other costs to reach us. You
authorise us to deduct from the security deposit any amounts due to us arising
out of this agreement. If there is a claim, we reserve the right to retain the
security deposit for such period as is necessary to quantify the charges that
are to be deducted.
Where the security deposit is insufficient to cover the costs, you will be responsible for any additional amounts if the insurance company has cause not to accept any claim made to them. These will be invoiced as appropriate and you authorise us to deduct any sums due from your card in respect of such amount. Where charges are incurred that result in your security deposit being debited we will provide you with an itemised invoice detailing the charges incurred by you. Your signature below gives us permission to deduct all charges from your card following the issue of an invoice. If for any reason we are not holding your card information, then you agree you to pay all charges upon presentation of the invoice.
You acknowledge that all transactions under this agreement are conducted in pounds sterling. Due to exchange-rate fluctuations, there could be some variance between the amount initially debited against your credit card and the amount refunded within seven days after the expiration of the rental period. You release Hire Edinburgh Camper from any liability for such variation.
AVAILABILITY OF THE CAMPERVAN
If the campervan becomes unavailable due to unforeseen events, our liability is limited to a full refund of your deposit and rental payment received by us. There will be no other liability to you.
We reserve the right to refuse any hire under any circumstance. We will not give you a refund on accommodation or the campervan not being available if you change, cancel or seek to vary the agreement after departure. We take no responsibility for any detention, delay, loss, damage or injury that you experience no matter how it is caused.
If you cancel between the
time of confirmed reservation and 30 days before the rental period, you forfeit
your booking deposit.
If you cancel between 30 and
7 days of the start of the rental period, you will incur a fee of 50% of the
balance of the payable hire charge.
If you cancel less than 7 days before the rental period commences, you will forfeit the total hire charge.
ACCIDENTS, THEFTS, VANDALISM AND BREAKDOWNS
- Only use our breakdown service, for which we will provide you with details
- Report any traffic accident involving the campervan to the police (and us) immediately and report loss, damage or theft involving the campervan to the police (and us) within 24 hours of the incident or discovery of the incident.
- Take care not to make any admission of liability, settlement offer or other like offer to other parties.
And where possible you should:
- Take the names and addresses of everyone involved, including witnesses. You should also take car registration numbers, together with all the details of the accident, time, place, how it came about, damage to vehicles etc. If you can, take photos of the scene.
- Keep the campervan in the same place until the police arrive. This is a safe thing to do unless it is in a vulnerable location.
You are liable for the full cost of any damage to the windscreen (including the cost of any replacement) and the cost of tyre damage or punctures (including the cost of replacing any tyres).
You acknowledge that the excess or other amount due by you in respect of any damage arising from an accident, loss or damage is payable at the time of reporting the event and not at the completion of the rental period. You will need to return the damaged campervan to us at your own cost, through our named breakdown service.
We will not refund the hire charge for any days you lose use of the campervan due to an accident, theft or vandalism. We cannot accept liability for any costs arising from accident, theft or vandalism, e.g. replacement campervan costs, travel, accommodation or phone calls.
In the event of theft of the campervan, you must return the keys to us where possible.
You agree to co-operate with us and our insurers in any investigation or subsequent legal proceedings arising out of any loss of or damage to the campervan. You will provide evidence and attend court if necessary.
If the campervan requires recovery as a result of your actions and not as a result of mechanical failure, you will be held responsible for the full cost of the recovery and any resulting costs incurred.
BREAKDOWN AND MAINTENANCE
The campervan is covered by breakdown service, VW Roadside Assistance, which will arrange for a mechanic to attend you. If you incur any minor repairs that you can deal with during the hire period, please contact us and, with our permission, you can organise the repair, keep the receipts, and we will refund you on the return of the campervan. We cannot accept liability for any costs arising from accident. Our liability for breakdown extends to refunding your hire charge for any days you lose from the total use of the campervan.
If you have broken down you must remain at a safe distance from the campervan until the recovery vehicle arrives. You must not abandon the campervan at the roadside. If you wish to continue your journey with another form of transport you must hand over the keys to the recovery vehicle driver.
You shall take all reasonable steps to properly maintain the campervan, including oil checks, water and batteries.
You acknowledge that Hire Edinburgh Camper will reimburse you for expenditure reasonably incurred in rectifying any mechanical failure to the drive train and engine of the campervan (not including the fresh water system, refrigerator, internal space heating, audio equipment), provided that:
- You produce relevant receipts
- You have received the prior consent of Hire Edinburgh Camper
- The damage is not your fault or your breach of this agreement
Our liability for breakdown that is our fault extends to refunding your hire charge for any days you lose from the total use of the campervan.
Subject to the terms of this agreement, you will pay for the cost of repairing or replacing tyres damaged during the rental period. Hire Edinburgh Camper will reimburse you where you produce relevant receipts for expenditure reasonably incurred if:
- The tyre is defective and you have returned it to Hire Edinburgh Camper for inspection
- The manufacturer accepts liability under its warranty
You will be liable for any costs associated with the incorrect use of fuel. The campervan uses petrol.
In the event that keys are lost or damaged you will be liable for the costs of obtaining a replacement.
GAS AND BATTERIES
We provide gas for the internal cooker and a leisure battery. If you need to purchase gas during your hire period, we will refund the cost to you on your return on production of a receipt. Gas can be bought in most petrol stations. We will not reimburse you for gas for the small outdoor cooker.
We will not be liable for any death or personal injury sustained by you, any member of your party, or any third party except as arising directly as a result of our negligence.
We will not be liable for any costs incurred in connection with any replacement campervan costs, travel or accommodation costs or other losses resulting directly or indirectly from any unavailability, breakdown or other failure of the campervan.
LAW OF SCOTLAND TO APPLY
The contract and these terms and conditions shall be governed by and in accordance with Scots law. You agree to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts in relation to all matters arising under this contract.
THE ENTIRE AGREEMENT
This agreement constitutes the entire agreement of the parties and there are no other oral undertakings, warranties or agreements between the parties relating to the subject matter of this agreement.
When you make your booking, we will collect personal information such as your name, email address, home address, telephone number, credit or debit card number, security code and the card’s expiry date. This allows us to book the campervan and insurance for you. We will not pass on this information to anybody else and we will destroy it after two years. We may use the information that we collect to occasionally notify you about news and information If at any stage you decide that you would rather not receive such information, please contact us by telephone, email or post.
TERMINATION OF THE AGREEMENT
You acknowledge that Hire Edinburgh Camper may terminate this agreement and repossess the campervan at any time, without notification to you, and that you will pay the reasonable costs of repossessing the campervan, including towing charges if:
- you are in breach of any term of this agreement
- you have obtained the campervan through fraud or any other misrepresentation
- the campervan appears to be abandoned
- the campervan is not returned on the agreed date or we reasonably believe it will not be returned on the agreed date
- we consider on reasonable grounds that the safety of passengers or the condition of the campervan is endangered. In the event of such termination or repossession, you have no right to a refund of any part of the rental charges or the security deposit.
We ask you to exercise caution at all times in the use of the campervan and its equipment, following instructions (given verbally on collection and provided in your campervan information pack) where appropriate. Please do not hesitate to contact us on 0131 556 3255 if you are unsure about how to operate anything or would just like some advice. We cannot be held responsible for any customer negligence where instructions have not been followed, or where unauthorised equipment has been used.
We will ask you to sign a copy of these terms and conditions when you collect the Campervan